Let me share some easy tips to follow just before and after you get your hair colored.
- Deep condition your hair as moisturized hair is healthier and the color will hold onto your hair better than dry hair, where it might barely soak into the surface of the strands and not last as long. The color will fade away faster on dry hair so make sure to get in a good oil or deep conditioning treatment one to two weeks prior coloring. It will also help the hair to be less prone to breakage during your color session.
- Buy shampoos and conditioners that enhance color. You’ll find all sorts of color supportive products on the market, depending on the shade of your color.
- Your hair becomes fragile in the first few weeks of color, so these color enhancing products can make a big difference in the long haul plus improve the length of time in between touch-ups.
- You should ideally wait at least 48 hours before you wash your hair after having your hair colored so that the dyes have time to set in deep. Use a hair care range that is particularly designed for color treated hair.
- Avoid using hot water to wash your hair as it will make the color fade quicker. Wash your hair with lukewarm or cold water for better and long lasting results.
- You will need to keep conditioning your hair even after it is colored and not only before as it will keep them safe from chemical damage. You can try deep oil treatments or use heavy duty conditioners to use after coloring.
- Use a hair product with SPF included in it just like you use it for your skin. The sun can damage and fade hair color faster which result in color weakness. If you are out in the sun, cover your hair with a scarf to limit the damage caused by the sun. Using products with vitamins A, C, and E is very helpful.
- While swimming use a deep conditioner or even a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair as it keep them moisturized and less prone to environmental damage that causes color to become paler. Always wear a swim cap to protect it from chlorine in the pool as it will change the hair color appearance too.
- Avoid using hot tools or hair dryer to avoid heat damage on newly colored hair.
My top 5 picks -
L'Oréal Paris Excellence Creme
Garnier HerbaShine Color Creme
Keune So Pure Color
Until next - Stay Blessed and Beautiful !